Saturday, June 4, 2011

Grandma Needs a New Pair of Shoes

A little less than a year ago, I took on the proud new role of grandma.  It was a defining moment for me, and the one that prompted the decision to begin life as a turkey sandwich.  I embraced it and I have relished it, and for the next four days, it will be snapping me into reality.

The kids took off at four this morning for their first trip away from baby.  They are San Francisco bound – Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf and Tony Bennett’s heart.  Knowing my daughter, there will also be a long stop at Ghirardelli’s for a hot fudge sundae.  With baby closing in on a year old in three weeks, it was time for mom and dad to have a break from being parents and spending some time as a couple.
I chuckled as I watched my daughter preparing last night. There are four suitcases at the front door. Mind you, these are not their traveling suitcases; these are for me to take along with baby!  One is filled with clothes, one is filled with food, one is filled with toys, and the fourth is filled with anything and everything that did not fit into the first three.  In addition, there is a car seat, a Pack ‘n Play, a high chair and a diaper bag.  I am thinking of charging them $25 per bag to travel in my car – each way!

Lucky for me, junior mastered a new trick just this past week, just in time for grandma to endure….I mean enjoy, enjoy.  It’s called climbing, and it can be done on furniture, stairs and anything else that is in his path.  Though his house has a long, steep set of stairs to the second floor, thankfully my abode is all on one level.  Of course I do have my roommate’s poodle who tends to go a little haywire when the baby comes to visit. She’s great with him; she just enjoys licking his face incessantly.
I am looking forward to the adventure, but not without just a little trepidation.  I love spending time with my little guy, I simply haven’t come up with the plan yet of how and when I accomplish simple tasks like taking a shower, or going to the bathroom, while he is venturing through our totally non-baby proofed house and licking dog.  Oh, and did I mention he crawls at about 60mph?

I’m sure by the end of four days I will be exhausted, smelly and possibly constipated, and the soles will be worn off my shoes.  But hey, I wouldn’t trade it for all the tea in China (or chocolate at Ghirardelli’s).

1 comment:

  1. enjoy your adventure all in all sounds wonderful ! John highly recommends a case of the 5 hour energy drink and I recommend roller blades to keep up with the lil guy (put a harness on him and he will pull u around)

    ReplyDelete